Balish is a traditional food in Tatar cuisine. Same as chak-chak, kistibi and honey it is cooked for every holiday and special event in Tatar culture. Tatar people believe that every good wife should know how to finely chop dough for noodles and how to cook Balish.
In this article, I will teach you how to cook traditional Tatar meat and potato pie based on our family recipe. I will share with you a secret of juicy filling and crispy dough.
You do not need any special ingredients for Balish rezept, which in turn makes it easy to cook. What makes this Tatar food special is the method the Balish is cooked. This Tatar rezept is used in my family for more than 50 years, passing from generation to generation. Try to cook it and you will be very surprised how tasty Tatar cuisine is.
Tatar cuisine: ingredients for Balish
- 400 grams of meat (preferably lamb)
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 20 grams of chicken broth/butter
For the dough
- 2 cups of flour
- 180 grams margarine
- 1⁄2 cup kefir (you can also replace it with yogurt, milk or sour cream)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
Tatar cuisine: How to cook Tatar pie Balish
Balish Rezept: prepare crispy dough for Tatar pie Balish
I recommend starting with the dough rather than filling preparation. Thus the dough will have some time to “breathe”. For this:
- 1. Firstly, sift the flour on board, passing through a sieve.
- 2. Secondly, put 180 grams of margarine on the floured board.
- 3. Cut the butter with a knife into as small pieces as possible.
- 4. Then, transfer chopped and floured butter into a deep bowl.
- 5. Add 1 tbsp of sunflower oil, 1/2 cup kefir ( you can also replace kefir with milk or sour cream) and salt to taste.
- 6. Knead the dough until all ingredients are mixed properly, and the dough is elastic enough.
- 7. Lastly, cover the dough with a film and let stand for at least 20 minutes.
Balish Rezept: prepare juicy filling for Tatar pie Balish
While the dough is having a rest, you can start preparing a filling for Balish. So:
- 1. Firstly, peel the potatoes and chop them into 1 x 1 cm cubes.
- 2. Secondly, cut the meat fillet also into small cubes 1 x 1 cm.
- 3. Chop the onion into maximally small pieces.
- 4. Then, mix the meat, onion with potato cubes.
- 5. Finally, add salt to taste and about 20 grams of melted butter or broth (for example, chicken broth).
It is time to make Balish
- 1. Firstly, divide the dough into two parts ( 1 small and 1 big ball).
- 2. Then, roll each ball with a rolling pin into a very thin disk.
- 3. Grease a deep pan/casserole dish with oil.
- 4. Place a big disk of dough on the bottom of the mold. The edges of the dough should slightly protrude beyond the edges of the pan.
- 5. Spread the filling.
- 6. Then, cover the Tatar pie with the second small disk of dough. Connect the edges of the pie.
- 7. In the end, use a fork or knife to make patterns on the pie cover.
Finally, it is the time to bake a Tatar pie
- 1. Certainly, the first important step is to preheat the oven to 180 C.
- 2. Then put the pie in the oven for about 2 hours. After an hour I highly recommend decrease the temperature and continue baking at a lower temperature of 150 C.
- 3. When the Tatar pie is ready, grease it with butter and let it stand for 15-20 minutes.
Tatar cuisine: How to eat Tatar pie Balish?
When all the guests are gathered around the table, the housewife brings Balish and place it in the middle of the table. The first step to do is to cut the lid of the pie into segments. These segments of dough play the role of bread.
The second step is to put the filling of the pie on guests’ plates.
After the guests finish eating the filling, it is the time for the most delicious part – the bottom of the Tatar pie. The low part of the pie is soaked with juicy filling and therefore it is the most delicious part for everybody. It can be also cut into segments and distributed between the guests
Probably the Tatar Rezept of Balish looks very simple in your eyes. However, despite its simplicity, the pie has a very rich taste. So, just try to cook it, extend your recipe list and impress your family and friends with a new dish of Tatar cuisine. Enjoy your meal!